Black Eye Beans with Chard - Mavromitika Mé Horta
A lot of Greek everyday food is vegan and this is a classic. Braised black eye beans, finished with chard, parsley, dill and a good glug of olive oil.
- 300 gms dried black eye beans
- 700 gms chard - rainbow chard if possible - torn into big pieces
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 180 ml tomato juice
- 150 ml olive oil
- A small handful each of dill and parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- First, give the dried beans a good rinse in a colander, drain and put in a medium sized saucepan and bring to the boil. Leave to simmer for about 10 minutes - you need to have them only partly cooked. Drain then and leave to one side.
- In another casserole heat 3 tabs of olive oil. Put in the chopped onion and leek and allow to cook until soft.
- Add the tomato juice, seasoning and half the chopped dill and all the parsley. Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Now add the drained beans and about 100ml of olive oil and then add the chopped chard. Leave to simmer until the chard and the beans have cooked and the sauce has thickened a little.
- Add the rest of the chopped dill and serve.This makes a superb vegetarian dish or can be included in a selection of mezé.